About us: SUSAN G. KOMEN – LOS ANGELES COUNTY
Since 1995, the Los Angeles County Affiliate of Susan G. Komen has raised over $11.9 million to provide community-based grants to local organizations offering crucial breast health and breast cancer services and to help fund cutting edge breast cancer research. A major focus of the Komen LA County Affiliate has been to assist uninsured and underinsured women under 40 and men with breast cancer symptoms access needed diagnostic testing and treatment. Through Komen advocacy action, the State of California, Department of Public Health, now has a diagnostic program for these women and men. Presently, the emphasis for the Affiliate is patient navigation from diagnosis, treatment and post treatment care and decisive support services.
Komen’s important work in the community is made possible through year-round fundraising efforts, including peer-to-peer fundraising through the MORE THAN PINK Walk (previously the Race for the Cure), corporate sponsorships for various events and third-party partnerships by local businesses.
Susan G. Komen Los Angeles County is the only organization in LA County that is exclusively dedicated to combating breast cancer on every front. We have one clear mission: saving lives and ending breast cancer forever.
We are serving the breast health needs of Los Angelenos through:
- Research including therapies in medications and metastatic breast cancer treatments
- Mammography screenings through our Circle of Promise Initiatives and Vida Y Esperanza Initiative
- Comprehensive breast cancer patient navigation, to help women find a medical home
- Breast cancer patient, survivor, and co-survivor support programs
- Public awareness and education about breast cancer issues
- Events and Conferences such as our MORE THAN PINK Walk and Metastatic Breast Cancer Conference
- Partnership programs like our Free rides program with Lyft® that provide transportation for individuals to and from their breast health appointments
A Diversity Council of local Los Angeles community partners to address diversity challenges such as language barriers and tools Komen LA County is grateful for its dedicated network of volunteers and donors that share their time and resources in support of our mission to end breast cancer forever.
About SUSAN G. KOMEN
Our organization was founded by one woman’s promise to her dying sister Suzy to end this disease. Launched in 1982, Susan G. Komen® has the largest group of volunteers and grassroots advocates who work to save lives, empower people and ensure quality care for all. Furthermore, we energize science to find the cures to this disease. Komen has transformed how the world treats and talks about breast cancer and has helped millions of breast cancer patients become breast cancer warriors. Now with more than three decades of forward-thinking innovation and global collaboration with the best scientific, clinical, technical, financial and people resources, we are ready to finish the fight.